In order to save time, we like to mix a large batch of pie crust crumbs and liquid mix and store them in the refrigerator. When we are ready to use it, we can put together a pie, quiche, or pot pie in quick order. The following recipe makes three 9 1/2 single pie shells.
1 stick or 4 oz. butter 1/2 cup white shortening 3- 3/4 cup pastry flour 1 Tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon salt
1) Mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk.
2) Add the butter and shortening, rubbing them together with your fingers until it resembles corn meal.
3) Place in a plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator until very cold. They will keep in the refrigerate 2 to 4 weeks.
4) In a separate container, mix the following: 1 cup of water 2 eggs 2 Tablespoon vinegar
5) Store in refrigerator until ready to use. This will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
For one single pie shell:
1) Mix 2 cups of crumbs with 5 Tablespoons of liquid mixture.
2) Toss gently with a spatula, then form into a ball with your hands. You need to gently work and mold until the ball is soft and easy to roll.
3) Using your rolling pin, roll out onto a floured surface about 11" in diameter and 1/8" thick.
If you desire double pie shell , do the previous steps twice