1cup white sugar1/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar5 Tablespoons cold water3 egg whites1 teaspoon real vanilla
1) Mix in saucepan white sugar, salt, cream of tartar, and water. Stir.
2) Bring to a full rolling boil over moderate heat.
3) Place 3 egg whites in a deep mixing bowl. Do not beat egg whites until above mixture is boiling.
4) Beat egg whites until they hold a soft peak, then pour hot syrup on a fine stream, beating constantly.
5) Reduce speed to medium and add vanilla.
6) Beat until frosting is spreading consistency.
Makes enough for 2 layers.