1 tablespoon butter 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced 1/2 medium onion, sliced 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 1/2 teaspoon thyme 1/2 teaspoon oregano 8 large eggs 2 cups milk 1 cup heavy cream Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 325ºF. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
2) Add mushrooms and onions; cook until soft.
3) Spread ½ cup Swiss cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese in bottom of greased 2-quart oblong dish or spring form pan.
4) Top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with thyme and oregano.
5) Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper; pour over ingredients in dish.
6) Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until set and golden brown.
Recipe makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: California Bed & Breakfast Cookbook; Melissa Craven & Jordan Salcito; 3D Press 2004; $19.95.