1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil2 large sweet onions, sliced thinly2 tablespoons brown sugar2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and the liquid squeezed out8 large OHIO eggs3 cups skim or 2% cups milk 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese (reduced fat kind if available), divided8 cups French bread cubes3/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1) Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until soft and caramelized, about 7-8 minutes.
2) Sprinkle with brown sugar and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
3) In a large bowl, crack the eggs, whisking in the milk and 1 cup of cheese. Add the drained spinach. Mix well.
4) Spray a 9 x 13-inch dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in dish. When onions are caramelized toss them with bread cubes, making sure to combine well.
5) Slowly pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and onions. Press the bread cubes down into the egg mixture, making sure they are completely soaked.
6) Sprinkle remaining cheese over casserole, add salt and pepper and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
7) Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
8) Preheat the oven to 325F. Bake the casserole for 1 hour or until hot and bubbling along the edges.
9) Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe makes 10 servings.