3 tablespoons butter, softened 1 (16-ounce) sourdough French bread loaf, cut into 24 (1/2-inch) slices Cooking spray 1 (12-ounce) jar orange marmalade 2 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk 1/3 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 6 large eggs 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1) Spread softened butter on one side of each bread slice.
2) Arrange 12 bread slices, buttered side down, slightly overlapping in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3) Spread marmalade evenly over bread; top with remaining 12 bread slices, buttered side up.
4) Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs), stirring with a whisk.
5) Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
6) Preheat oven to 350°.
7) Sprinkle casserole with walnuts.
8) Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Yields 12 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
CALORIES 293(28% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 3.2g,mono 2.2g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 9.1g; CHOLESTEROL 116mg; CALCIUM 132mg; SODIUM 315mg; FIBER 1.6g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.4g
***Grapefruit or mixed fruit marmalade will work just as well as the orange marmalade called for in the recipe. Serve the casserole with honey or pancake syrup warmed with orange rind and a splash of orange juice (add one teaspoon rind and two tablespoons juice per 1/2 cup syrup). This easy casserole can be assembled in less than 15 minutes and stored in the refrigerator overnight.