3 large egg whites1 cup sugar2 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used Hershey Special Dark)6-ounces miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
1) Position one oven rack in the top third of the oven and the other rack on the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 275 F. degrees.
2) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place egg whites in large mixing bowl.
3) With an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they are frothy, about 30 seconds.
4) Turn speed to high and pour sugar into bowl in a slow, steady stream. Continue to beat until the egg whites are stiff and shiny.
5) Hold a small fine mesh strainer over the bowl and sift the cocoa powder into the bowl.
6) Pour chocolate chips into bow. Fold the ingredients together with a rubber spatula, being careful not to deflate the meringue.
7) Drop heaping tablespoons of the meringue onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1½ inches between each cookie.
8) Bake the meringues until they are firm on the outside but still soft inside, about 30 minutes.
9) Let them cool on wire racks 5 minutes, and then carefully peel them off the parchment paper.
Chocolate meringues will keep for several days in an airtight container.
Recipe makes 24 large cookies.