Because of the way the calendar fell this year, taxpayers had a couple extra days to get those tax returns prepared and mailed.
The Internal Revenue Service reports that 77% of tax returns were filed electronically last year, so we went out and checked on the other 23%. Because so many people now file electronically, post offices are no longer extending their hours, however the lobby of the Lima post office was busy Tuesday evening.
Lima businessman Tim Vondrell doesn't normally wait until the last minute to file. He jokingly said he heard last minute filers had a good time and there was a big crowd at the post office with food being served. He was disappointed to hear the pizza giveaway ended years ago. He says his return was last minute due to some mistakes.
The critical component to your taxes not being deemed late, resulting in a penalty, is that postmark. The IRS accepts the postmark on the envelope as proof of timely filing.