Soon to be graduates at Ohio Northern University are on the job hunt. Biology major Kirstin Reams is optimistic about her future. Reams has some interviews lined up and believes she will find a job.
The likelihood of that happening soon after graduation seems to be improving. An annual survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers forecasts a 10.2 percent rise in job offers to college graduates this spring
Prospects are better for some students than others. The demand is highest in what are called stem fields-- those that involve science, technology, engineering, and math.
Rachel Pioch started out as a biology major. She switched to the less in demand field of graphic design. Even so, she was able to find a job at American Greetings while having her portfolio critiqued.
Nancy Sheely, assistant director of career services at ONU, says just 20 percent of jobs are posted. The other 80 percent, like Pioch's new position, are filled through word of mouth and networking. Sheely recommends students remain proactive in that job search so the stress of graduation doesn't turn into the bigger stress of unemployment.