By Branden Ferguson, Multi Media Video Journalist - bio | email
Findlay, Ohio -
Findlay administrators continuing their efforts to balance the budget and create a new 2013 budget.
Findlay's Auditor Jim Staschiak shared his incite of the city's revenue and provided council and administrators with a 2013 projection. Council was asked how much they would like to see used on capital improvements next year, regardless of what voters decide. Council members told Staschiak that they would like to see 90 percent of the city's income tax revenue to be used in the general funds and the remaining 10 percent used for capital improvements.
At their last meeting, it was announced that the city of Findlay would be receiving a 1.2 million dollar estate tax windfall. That money will ease the immediate financial pains, but things will not get any easier, as the state will eliminate estate tax collections beginning next year.
Tuesday night's information will be used to inform voters as city administrators continue to push for a renewal of a quarter percent income tax to help maintain current city conditions. If the issue is voted down in November, twenty three firefighters and six police officers will be laid-off, Fire Station 4 will be closed and Findlay, as residents know it, will change.