After being called to the Motel 6 this morning, Wapakoneta Police and Auglaize County emergency Management determined that the cause of the strange odor was from muriatic acid spilled in the hallway.
The chemical is used for the hotel pool, but police believe this wasn't an accident.
When not being used for its intended purpose, the acid can cause burns to skin and can't be washed off with just water.
Police officials are actively investigating how the acid got spilled. There were ten rooms occupied this morning, and they will remain evacuated until the spill is fully cleaned up.