Nominations for the 2019 Jefferson Awards are now closed. Check back beginning of 2020 to nominate someone you believe who deserves recognition!
It's time once again for the annual "Jefferson Awards". This prestigious award honors outstanding volunteers throughout communities across America. Your Hometown Lima Stations, United Way of Greater Lima, The Lima News and Husky Lima Refinery work cooperatively to bring the Jefferson Awards to Lima / Allen County and its contiguous counties. Click on the link below to download a nomination form today! Make sure to fill it out and return it to The United Way, located on South Collett Street. You can submit nominations online at the link below, or send the form to the following address.
The Jefferson Awards
c/o United Way of Greater Lima
616 South Collett Street
Lima, OH 45805
All entries must be received by Feb. 20th 2019.
Jefferson Awards History
The American Institute for Public Service, now known as the Jefferson Awards for Public Service, was founded in 1972 by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Senator Robert Taft, Jr. and Sam Beard to establish a national recognition for, and encouragement of, outstanding community and public service – the Jefferson Awards.
Jefferson Awards are presented on two levels: local and national. On the local level, Jefferson Award recipients are volunteers who do extraordinary things without expectation of recognition or reward. Past local representatives to the National Program include Estella Adams, Penny Daniels, Shannon Mitchell, Chris Jackson, Dan Endicott, Dr. Gene Wright, Andrea Mitchell, Sandy Monfort, Marjorie Bryan, Timothy Macke, Randy Kohli, Bobbie Nevarez and Rachael and Cameron Staley. Past national Jefferson Award recipients include Rosalyn Carter, Walter Cronkite, John Glenn, Barbara Bush, Bob Hope, Dr. Henry Kissinger, General Colin Powell, Oprah Winfrey and Elizabeth Dole.
Across America, hundreds of media affiliates sponsor the Jefferson Awards. Through these local Jefferson Award Programs, over 14,000 nominations are received year after year.
- Individuals of all ages may be nominated for the Jefferson Awards. Groups are not eligible, however, individuals from groups may be nominated. The exception is that married couples or two people who have worked closely on a project may be nominated. The volunteer work must be done in the following counties: Allen, Putnam, Van Wert, Auglaize, Hardin, or Hancock. The volunteer must reside in one of those six counties.
- As of 1/1/2019 and individual who is over the age of 19 will be eligible for the adult award and any youth 18 and under will be eligible for the youth award.
- Individuals are not eligible for cash awards.
- Cash awards must be made payable to qualifying non-profit organizations registered with the Ohio Secretary of State or be a political subdivision of the state as described in 107 (c)(1), such as a public school or government agency. If the organization for which the winner volunteers is not eligible for a cash award, another qualifying agency may be selected.
- Top twelve winners are eligible for re-nomination 5 years after their original nomination.
- Volunteer service may be performed on work-release time or for student course credit.
If you have questions contact: LaShae Torres, Resource Development Director, United Way of Greater Lima
Phone – 419-227-6341 Email – firstname.lastname@example.org