The Memorial Day holiday weekend starts out badly for people living in a Lima duplex after a cookout goes wrong.

Duplex heavily damaged after grill catches porch on fire 1.jpg

Crews were called to the scene around 6:20 p.m. Firefighters say a gas barbecue grill being used on the porch caught that porch on fire, with flames quickly spreading to the rest of the home. The fire department says one person suffered minor injuries trying to escape the home through a window. They were taken to the hospital for treatment. The home was heavily damaged, with the cost of the damage estimated at $40,000.

Seven people were left homeless by the fire and are being assisted by the Red Cross. The American Township Fire Department also called in to assist with the fire.

Digital Content Manager

Greetings! I'm the digital content manager here at Your Hometown Stations making sure content gets on our website and social media. If you have a news tip or even a concern with a story you can email our news department at newsrelease@wlio.com.