President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea after the Republican president said it declined to help denuclearize Iran. Trump said in a social media post on Sunday that the exercises slated to begin this week are costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” while Trump has been in the White House. The 11 days of exercises involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers were designed to beef up readiness against North Korean threats.
U.S. President Donald Trump says he'll order American forces to hold off on strikes he had threatened against Iran, claiming Mideast allies have reached the parameters of a deal to end the war. Trump said in a Saturday evening social media post that for now, he will halt new strikes in the 5-month old war. A day earlier, he had threatened more strikes on Iran as the U.S. pushes to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. But Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said on Sunday that there were no talks about reopening the strait, which would not return to its pre-war status.
The United States has not attacked Iran for a second day, and Tehran says it has also halted attacks. This pause comes amid efforts to resume negotiations on an interim ceasefire deal. The U.S. previously targeted Iranian coastal areas after Iran fired at ships in the vital Strait of Hormuz. The Pentagon has not commented on the pause. Mediation efforts by countries like Pakistan and Qatar remain unclear. Concerns about shipping in the region persist, especially with threats from Iranian-backed Houthi rebels. Talks with Oman about safe passage in the Strait of Hormuz are ongoing, with some progress reported. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu plans to travel to Washington and meet with U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday,
The United States has announced another death of a service member as it launches more airstrikes at Iran. It is targeting the Revolutionary Guard in response to the killing of U.S. troops. The military says the latest death on Saturday was in Iraq during the “controlled detonation” of a downed Iranian drone. Iran on Sunday fired missiles toward Jordan, risking a wider conflict with neighboring Israel. Kuwait, Jordan and Bahrain activated defenses against Iranian drones and missiles. The U.S. and Iran have returned closer to all-out war as last month’s interim deal meant to permanently end the fighting has crumbled.